There are lots of practices claiming to be family dentists. But when you go there, they don’t seem any different from any other dentist. What you need is a real family dentist, one who considers the whole family while paying attention to each member as an individual. Douglas Family Dentistry prides itself on doing just that.
How We See It
Family dentistry is concerned with addressing oral health at every stage of life, particularly for kids and teenagers. While like general dentists, family dentists typically have more experience working with children and adolescents, a time when many dental issues first appear and require attention. Some, but not all dentists, are pediatricians; most have a good understanding of the physical changes in growing that affect not only dental health but overall physical well-being. So many dental problems later in life are traceable to early life and adolescence.
Adult and Seniors
For adults, family dentists perform the same basic functions but often offer cosmetic dentistry as well—teeth whitening, veneers, bridges, and even implants, depending upon the family practice. Family practices will normally refer implant patients to specialists or other surgical procedures.
What Family Dentists Do
A family dentist can practice alone or partner with other dentists with specialties. Family dentists generally offer the following services.
- Regular cleanings and exams. 6-month exams are critical for patients of all ages because they help catch oral issues like tooth decay and gingivitis before they become more severe. These checkups also ensure that your child’s teeth are developing properly.
- Fluoride treatments and dental sealants. Fluoride treatments and dental sealants are both great ways to prevent tooth decay, which is especially common in children.
- Cavity checks and fillings. Tooth decay is a common yet completely preventable childhood disease. Most family dentists specialize in identifying and filling cavities and treating patients of all ages suffering from tooth decay.
- Orthodontics. Not all family dentists can offer in-house orthodontic treatment. However, they offer orthodontic exams and can provide referrals to outside orthodontists if necessary.
- Gum disease treatment. Family dentists typically offer services like periodontal maintenance, scaling, and root planning to treat patients suffering from gum disease.
Many family dentists offer a wide menu of dental services for every stage of life. Most, however, rely on referrals when it comes to surgical procedures.
The Douglas Family Dentistry Experience
Douglas Family Dentistry offers a friendly, professional environment for patients from kids to adults and seniors if you live in Phoenix, Scottsdale, or the surrounding communities. Our highly qualified staff is ready to provide your family with the services you expect and deserve. Call us at 480-948-3680 or go to our website to schedule an appointment.