You’re looking for a top family dentist. Drive around. You’ll see a lot of dental professionals and groups advertising themselves as “family dentistry.” In most people’s minds, it’s the equivalent of your primary medical doctor, the pro you go to for your basic dental needs. And it is like that, sort of, with one significant difference. Primary doctors all perform the same services; all family dentists do not. Some combine general dentistry practice with a variety of specialized options. For example, The American Dental Association defines a cosmetic dentist as a general dentist who also does cosmetic procedures. Primary doctors do not perform surgery.
Also, the meaning of Top Dentist may differ depending on what you expect from the pro delivering dental services.
Top Family Dentists: A Personal Choice
Like selecting a primary physician, you want a family dentist well trained in the basics. But there’s more to it than that. Yes, you want someone smart and well-trained. But you also want someone who listens and makes you feel comfortable and important. A family dentist may come recommended, but if you don’t feel comfortable with them, it’s a sure sign you should keep on looking.
General Dentist vs. Family Dentist
If you’re a new parent and just moved to the Phoenix and Scottsdale area, you’ll need to find a qualified family dentist for you and your loved ones.
General Dentistry covers a range of treatment options and procedures fundamental to protecting and maintaining a good standard of oral health.
- Regular Exams
- Restorative Treatment—fix or restore broken or damaged teeth.
- Root Canals
- Teeth Extraction
- Select Cosmetic Procedures
Family Dentistry: General Dentistry, and More
Family dentistry provides the same services as general dentistry but is concerned with addressing oral health at every stage of life. Family dentists may have a good deal of experience treating children. Some may even be qualified pediatricians.
Douglas Family Dentists provides top-of-the-line general dentistry services along with a complete menu of services for kids, adults, and older family members.
- Regular cleanings and exams. 6-month exams are critical for patients of all ages because they help catch oral issues like tooth decay and gingivitis before they become more severe. These checkups ensure that your child’s teeth properly develop.
- Fluoride treatments and dental sealants. Fluoride treatments and dental sealants are both great ways to prevent tooth decay, which is especially common in children.
- Cavity checks and fillings. Tooth decay is a common yet preventable childhood disease. Family dentists specialize in identifying and filling cavities and treating patients of all ages suffering from tooth decay.
- Not all family dentists offer in-house orthodontic treatment. Some do, some don’t. Many, however, give orthodontic exams and accurate assessments of issues. They usually work with orthodontic professionals and can provide referrals.
Choose the Douglas Family Dentistry Experience
Live in Phoenix, Scottsdale, or the surrounding communities? Douglas Family Dentistry offers a complete generational dental experience for patients at all stages of life. Call us at 480-948-3680 or go to our website to schedule an appointment.